Au-pair Visa for Germany

Everything you need to know about the Au-pair Visa for Germany.

German Lawyers
Au-pair Visa
Fully Transparent Pricing

What is an au-pair?

Au-pair is an international cultural exchange program. Au-pairs are young foreigners who live in a host family and help with childcare and housework. In return, the host family provides accommodation, food and allowance. In addition, a contribution is payed for a German language course. The main aim of the program is to get to know the language and cultural characteristics of the host country. The au-pair programme gives young people the opportunity to live in another country, learn a foreign language, earn some money and immerse themselves in an exciting new culture. You will have the opportunity to broaden your horizons and be given an unforgettable experience.

In the au-pair visa procedure, the plausibility of the application and the willingness to return are evaluated first and foremost. The individual life circumstances of the applicant are evaluated taking into account their social setting. The au-pair stay is limited in time and is granted for a total period of up to twelve months.
Experienced Team


  • The applicant is between 18 and 26 years of age
  • German knowledge of at least A1 level
  • Positive return forecast
  • The host family primarily speaks German
  • Applicant is not related to the host family
  • Applicant's home country isn't the same as the host family's


        • Prepare yourself for the visa interview, in which you will be asked about your motivation, your stay, the specific tasks and the children to be looked after.
        • If you do not pass the language exam during the visa interview, you can retake the exam within one month.
        • Make sure you make an appointment with the responsible foreign mission well ahead of time, otherwise the application process can be delayed.
        • As the visa is only issued for 3 months by the diplomatic missions, you should apply for your (long-term) residence permit at the local foreigners authority in shortly after you have entered the country.

            Step-by-step guide


            Our Service

            VISARIGHT helps to realize a smooth visa procedure. Applicants can effortlessly check their chances of success using a scoring algorithm and have their application data automatically validated. Our platform also offers comprehensive overview functions. We create all application documents for you and provide you with a personal contact person at all times throughout the entire process. In addition, we help to secure a timely visa appointment and support you with services after arrival in Germany (e.g. with the future residence permit or residence registration).
            In individual cases or depending on the requirements of the competent diplomatic mission, further documents may be required over the course of the visa procedure.
            ✔ Eligibility Check

            ✔ Visa Complete Service

            ✔ Appointment Service

            ✔ Money-back Guarantee

            ✔ Personal Support

            ✔ Residence Permit

            ✔ Residence Registration
            from 249,00 €

            100% Money-back Guarantee

            + VAT

            Frequently Asked Questions
            Do I even need a visa?
            Citizens of some countries can enter Germany without a visa. Subsequently, one must apply for the Blue Card within three months of entering Germany at the relevant immigration authority.
            How long is the au-pair visa valid for?
            The minimum stay in Germany is 6 months. The maximum length is 12 months.
            How long does the application take?
            The final duration depends, in particular, on the country of origin or the capacity of the diplomatic mission concerned, as well as on individual conditions, and may therefore vary from case to case.
            Can I travel within the EU?
            Yes, you may travel freely within the entire Schengen area.
            How can I prove my knowledge of German?
            In order to prove your knowledge of German, you must present an A1 language certificate or prove your knowledge at an interview at the German mission abroad.
            How do I find a host family?
            There are several ways to find a suitable host family:
            1. You can try to find a family yourself. There are many online platforms where you can publish your profile or search and find profiles of registered host families.
            2. You can contact an agency to help you find a family. You should be very careful here. There are many dubious intermediaries who offer their services at inflated prices and give little guarantees. VISARIGHT recommends that you only contact agencies that are certified with the RAL Quality Mark.
            What are the responsibilities of the host family?
            • Coverage of health insurance for the entire stay
            • Payment of an allowance of 260 € per month
            • Financial contribution of 50 € per month for a German language course
            • Provision of a separate room and meals
            • Granting of at least one free day and four free evenings per week
            • Paid holiday of 4 weeks (for stays of less than one year: 2 working days per month)
            Which insurance policies have to be taken out and who bears the costs?
            Since an au-pair is not subject to social insurance in Germany, the host family must take out health and accident insurance for him or her.
            Who bears the costs for the trip to Germany?
            This depends on the wishes and financial means of the host family. As a rule, the costs for the journey to the family residence are borne by the au-pair.
            What happens if there are problems with the host family?
            As a rule, most problems can be solved through open dialogue. Remember that an au-pair is not a cheap domestic worker! You don't have to cook for the whole family or take care of the whole household.

            If a situation cannot be solved by dialogue, you can contact your au-pair agency (if available) or a non-governmental organisation such as Au-pair Hilfe e.V.. The support is free of charge as the organisation is not profit-oriented and is financed by donations.

            In case of problems with the foreigners authority the VISARIGHT experts will help you navigate any issues.
            Can I come to Germany several times for an au pair stay?
            An au-pair stay in Germany is generally only possible once. Exceptions to this rule are only possible in individual cases when an au-pair's stay in Germany has been interrupted due to problems with the host family (and no reassignment could take place) or the au-pair had to return temporarily to his or her home country due to urgent (e.g. family) reasons. A further au-pair stay in another country is possible and depends on the right of residence there.
            Why VISARIGHT?
            • German lawyers
            • Experienced team with many years of visa expertise
            • Free Eligibility Check
            • Process acceleration through automation
            • Money-back guarantee
            • More reasons: About us
            Au-pair Visa
            Please fill out the application form below:
            Do you already have a host family in Germany?
            By continuing you agree to our Privacy Policy.
            Au-pair Visa
            Please fill out the application form below:
            Do you already have a host family in Germany?
            By continuing you agree to our Privacy Policy.
            Au-pair Visa
            Please fill out the application form below:
            Do you already have a host family in Germany?
            By continuing you agree to our Privacy Policy.