In each case, different paragraphs of the German immigration law apply. Several conditions, however, are general:
- The purpose of reunification is to live together with a family member and to lead a joint household.
- Moving takes place to a person who has an official residence in Germany.
- Cohabitation is requested on the basis of reasonable and sincere motives, rather than on the desire to get a German residence permit.
- Sufficient living space is available for all family members.
- If a resident of Germany receives unemployment benefits or social assistance as an unemployed person, the reunification with relatives in Germany might be refused.